Search This Blog

Sunday 15 November 2015

Big in Botofago

I mentioned a couple of posts back that I had acquired a job lot of "Rough Guides" CDs in a charity shop in Canterbury - luckily the Garden of England is not on Charity Chic's normal route so some things are left for the rest of us to find.

One of the CDs was the edition devoted to Brazilian psychedelia. Some of it is barely psychedelic in the way I understand the term, and there is a fair bit of self-indulgent twaddle, but there is enough good stuff on there to make it worth the investment. Like these two tracks.

"Alergico De Flores" - Laranja Freak

"Cantando Ciranda Na Beira Do Mar" - Siba

6 comments:

  1. I would have probably given this one a miss Ernie but happy to give thee two songs a listen

    ReplyDelete
  2. We don't get this kind of quality on TV here!!. I'm particularly impressed with the Allergic to Flowers - my portuguese isn't good enough but I wonder if this is a tongue-in-cheek song.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the Alergico de Flores track and just checked out the YT vid that you've probably seen http://tinyurl.com/p388dam I agree with your psychedelia question mark and I'm not sure when this was recorded but for me there are echoes in this of a track by Bell XI (Bigger Than Me) http://tinyurl.com/odgu2hj No? Oh all right then. Many thanks for posting the track though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spence. I can'l claim to be familiar with Bell XI - are they anything like the Lavinia, Duchess of Arundel's XI? - but "Alergico de Flores" was released in 2004 if that helps.

      Delete
    2. Ha ha! Only a true cricket fan would say that! Not sure how I came to know about Bell X1, must've been hearing a track on the radio circa 2005 and shortly after picked up a cheap CD (it didn't really trouble the scorers) with that track on it. They're from Dublin and once had some connection with Damien Rice and....well that's the extent of my knowledge about them. Btw reading Lavina, Duchess of Norfolk's wiki entry reminds of everything wrong about Britain and our iniquitous class system. But I digress..... always enjoy your posts!

      Delete