Search This Blog

Monday 3 June 2013

From Johnson To Jones

Over the last couple of days we have had some semblance of summer here in London (though it will probably have ended before I finish typing this). Let's celebrate it while we can.

Here's what happens when the King of Carolina beach music teams up with the King of New York:

"Rockaway Beach" - General Johnson & Joey Ramone

As well as being a great summer record in it's own right, it is also the best remake of a Ramones song you are ever likely to hear. I stand ready to be corrected but this, by the usually estimable Paul Jones, may well be the worst.

"Sheena is a Punk Rocker" - Paul Jones

Let's restore our equilibrium with the Ramones, doing a cover version of one of their own favourite summer songs, and some more General Johnson (you can't have too much General Johnson).

"California Sun" - Ramones

"Carolina Girls" - General Johnson

As a bonus, because you've been good and because I'm not around for the rest of the week, here is a late addition to the last post on songs about singers.

"Dancing With Joey Ramone" - Amy Rigby

Romania, since you ask. I'm working in Bucharest for a few days, but I should have time for 24 hours sightseeing at the end of trip. I may pick up some music to delight you with while I'm there although, if this year's Eurovision entry is anything to go by, there is an equally strong chance that I won't.


1 comment:

  1. I Want to be Your Joey Ramone - Sleater-Kinney!
    Keep em coming!
    I got Rockaway Beach for 20p

    ReplyDelete