Search This Blog

Monday 9 March 2009

Mpharanyana on Monday (6)

This week's Mpharanyana track is a personal favourite - "Freak Out With Botsotso".

http://www.box.net/shared/9kebu928uu

Who or what is Botsotso, I hear you ask. To be honest I have no idea, but after extensive research on Google I think there are two most likely candidates. Apparently "Botsotso" is or was a slang term for skin-tight jeans; and it is or was a football stadium in Katlehong. Those of you who have been with us since Mpharanyana on Monday (2) will recall that he claims that Kathelong is "where I belong". Neither "Freak out with skin-tight jeans" or "Freak out with a football stadium" sound terribly convincing, but it is the best I can offer.

If you search against "Botsotso" on Google, most hits relate to "a grouping of poets, writers and artists who wish to both create art as well as to generate the means for its public exposure and appreciation". But I am sure the song is not about them, not because Mpharanyana would not have appreciated their work but because they did not get started until 1994, 15 years after his tragically early death.

If any of my many South African readers can shed any more light on the subject, that would be greatly appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment